A birthday cake refers to a cake consumed as part of birthday celebrations, all around the world. It is associated with various traditions depending on the area and culture. Variations of typical birthday cakes are in form of cake pops, cupcakes, tarts and pastries. Though there is no standard taste followed universally yet cakes for birthdays are usually chocolate, strawberry or vanilla flavored.
They are baked in many shapes and decorated in multiple colors or one color and often with fondant or icing. If you cannot make one at home, you can order online birthday cake.
Here are top two recipes for birthday cakes to try out at home:
Chocolate Cake in One Bowl
- White sugar- 2 cups
- All purpose flour- 1 and ¾ cup
- Unsweetened powder of cocoa- ¾ cup
- Baking powder- 1 and a half tsp
- Baking soda- 1 and a ½ tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Eggs -2
- Milk-1 cup
- Vegetable oil- ½ cup
- Vanilla extract- 2 tsps
- Boling water-1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C
- Grease 2 round pans of 9 inches and flour them
- Take a big bowl and combine in it, cocoa, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Add milk, eggs, vanilla and oil and mix for 2 minutes with mixer on medium speed.
- Last, stir in the boiling water. You will get a thin batter.
- Pour batter uniformly in prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the oven till cake seems done using toothpick trick.
- Cool in pan for 12 minutes. Next, remove to wire rack and allow cooling thoroughly.
Red Velvet Cake
- Shortening- ½ cup
- White sugar- 1 and a ½ cups
- Eggs – 2
- Cocoa-2 tbsp
- Edible coloring in red- 4 tbsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Vanilla extract- one tsp
- All-purpose flour, sifted- 2 and a ½ cups
- Butter milk- 1 cup
- Baking soda- One and a ½ tsp
- White vinegar, distilled- 1 tbsp
- All purpose flour- 5 tbsp
- Milk- 1 cup
- White sugar-1 cup
- Butter ( at room temperature)- 1 cup
- You must pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees F or 175 degree C.
- Grease and flour 2 round pans of 9 inches
- Beat sugar and shortening till fluffy and light.
- Mix in eggs and do proper beating
- Make a paste with red food coloring and cocoa.
- Add this to creamed mix.
- Mix together vanilla, buttermilk and salt.
- Add flour into batter, and alternate with buttermilk mix till fully combined.
- Mix vinegar and soda and fold gently to cake batter. Do not stir batter beyond this point.
- Pour batter into pans. Bake for 30 minutes till inserted tooth pick emerges clean. Cool cakes totally on wire rack.
- For icing: Cook together 5 tbsp of flour and milk over low heat, stirring constantly, till it becomes thick. Allow to cool totally.
- While mix is cooling, beat together butter, vanilla and sugar till fluffy and light. Add cold flour mix and beat till frosting has a good consistency to spread.
- Frost layers of cake when totally cool.
These are two splendid recipes for birthday cakes.